In a fascinating debate at the 2017 Connected Consumer Conference we learned what is essentially a magic formula for better advertising - but the ingredients to make it work are not always easy to acquire.
Connected Consumer Conference
Reaching and influencing the connected consumer
Wednesday 7 June 2017
This year's Connected Consumer Conference was a half-day of debates, interviews and presentations from influential speakers as we explored how the advertising and marketing industry is being shaped by today's connected consumer.
The Connected Consumer Conference helps advertisers, planners and researchers make sense of the fast-moving media market across all screens and related technologies.
IPA members can ascribe a CPD value to each Mediatel Events session
08:00 - 08:30
Registration for invite-only breakfast with Tapad
Scene setter presentation from Tom Rolph, Senior Director, Enterprise Partnerships, Tapad.
Case study from Robert Foulkes, Head of Marketing and Digital, Monarch Airlines and Lucy Hahn, UK Client Operations Director, Flashtalking.
Key themes for discussion:
- Are we seeing any changes in the way consumers are using devices?
- Is there a proven uplift in sales, if marketing is viewed by consumers across several screens?
- Can we identify the different influences of each screen from a branding and DR perspective?
- How can agencies and clients best use cross device data (for planning and buying) in today's programmatic world?
- Should cross device data form a new currency?
- How does IOT fit into the world of cross device?
Chair:Dominic Mills, Mediatel Newsline columnist and former editor Campaign Jane Ostler, Managing Director of Media & Digital, Kantar Millward Brown Chris Feo, SVP Strategy & Global Partnerships, Tapad James Patterson, GM, UK, The Trade Desk Robert Foulkes, Head of Marketing and Digital, Monarch Airlines Renee Mellow, Head of Emerging Digital Activation, EMEA, MediaCom
09:30 - 10:00
Registration for Connected Consumer Conference
Introduction from The Connies Chair of Judges, Mark Cross, Director, Chartroom.
DATA ALERT! Connected Consumers are Humans!
Key themes for discussion:
- Do we need to start putting human behaviour first?
- Beneath it all we are trying to understand human behaviour and how to make everything easier, simpler, faster for consumers. We think and say we are putting consumers at the centre of our thinking, but do we really?
- Have we drilled into the realities of human behaviour to really understand the choices we are hoping they will make?
- Is it only once we have done that we can anticipate the data or technology needs that will help us make the connections we seek.
- Can we reach an optimum mix of behavioural science, data and tech?
Chair:Richard Shotton, Deputy Head of Evidence, Manning Gottlieb OMD Tom Laranjo, Managing Director, Total Media Tamsin Hussey, Senior Digital Strategist, Infosys Richard Chataway, Founder, Communication Science Group
Emma Hazlehurst, Head of Strategic Solutions, UK, RadiumOne and Liam Mullins, Managing Partner, the7stars discuss the Most Connected Campaign - Radium One/ITV Ad Sync with Iceland and the7Stars.
11:00 - 11:30
Sam Fenton-Elstone, Chief Digital Officer, VCCP dicusses the Best Use of Connected Data - VCCP with News UK.
Key themes for discussion:
- Marketing developed around the 4 Ps, and more recently uses the 7 or even 8 Ps. With data of staggering proportions now available to us, are we in need of some fundamental first priciples to define the most effective mix and application?
- What do the 4 Os mean and how could they be applied?
- Does adoption of the 4 Os - objectives, outputs out-takes and outcomes - offer a way forward?
- When we start planning and analysing data do we establish what success looks like from the outset?
- Do we pay lip service to evaluation through fear of failure?
- How do we organise data?
- How do we measure outcomes?
- Can we avoid the risks of "bad" targeting and negative experiences
Chair: Mark Cross, Director, Chartroom Mike Read, MD, UK, Verto Analytics Andrew Willshire, Founder, Diametrical Ltd Sue Elms, Consultant
Dr James Carney, Director, Texture Lab and Stuart Youngs, Founder and Creative Director, Studio Texture + Texture Lab discuss how machine learning is set to offer a quantum shift in capability across many areas of the connected ecosystem. Here we explore an emerging approach for predicting the cognitive response to communication powered by machine learning with interesting applications.
12:55 - 13:30
Lunch and networking
Senior Director, Enterprise Partnerships, Tapad
Head of Marketing and Digital, Monarch Airlines
UK Client Operations Director, Flashtalking
Mediatel Newsline columnist and former editor Campaign
Managing Director of Media & Digital, Kantar Millward Brown
SVP Strategy & Global Partnerships, Tapad
GM, UK, The Trade Desk
Head of Emerging Digital Activation, EMEA, MediaCom
Deputy Head of Evidence, Manning Gottlieb OMD
Managing Director, Total Media
Senior Digital Strategist, Infosys
Founder, Communication Science Group
Head of Strategic Solutions, UK, RadiumOne
Managing Partner, the7stars
Chief Digital Officer, VCCP Media
MD, UK, Verto Analytics
Founder, Diametrical Ltd
Dr James Carney
Director, Texture Lab
Founder and Creative Director, Studio Texture + Texture Lab
RSA, 8 John Adam Street, London , WC2N 6EZ
Nearest stations: Charing Cross (Northern and Bakerloo line) Embankment (District, Circle, Northen and Bakerloo lines)
A Mediatel Events season ticket guarantees you a place at seven of our core events including this one. As well as saving you over £500 you’ll also get free access to bonus events throughout the year.