At Mediatel's 2017 Planning Debate, experts warned that an over-reliance on data and a lack of human interaction was creating a chasm between planners and their audiences.
Are algorithms killing the planning stars?
Debating the role of planners
Wednesday 26 April 2017
Following on from the success of Mediatel Events' debut planning event last year, "Has Planning Lost Its Mojo?", we continued the debate on the role of planners and the challenges faced in 2017.
This half-day conference saw senior media and creative planners, clients, media owners, data business and programmatic companies debate the role of the planner in an increasingly automated business.
09:00 - 09:30
Introduction and welcome from Derek Jones, CEO, Mediatel.
Panel themes for debate include:
- If the customer journey is at the heart of all planning, what roles do creative and media agencies play?
- Does the idea/strategy come before data, or vice versa?
- Does a reliance on data mean planners don't get out and talk to people as much as they should? Do planners spend too much time in the echo chamber?
- Do you feel in harmony with media buyers and traders or in competition with them?
- Has Byron Sharp changed the way planners or marketers think?
- Do you see any shift in the value clients are putting on planning?
Chair: Dominic Mills, Mediatel Newsline columnist and former editor Campaign Dom Boyd, Chief Strategy Officer, Publicis London Tia Castagno, Head of Innovation and Content, Vizeum Global Laurence Green, Founding Partner, 101 Matthew Gaunt, Head of Brand & Communications, Wickes Mark Hatwell, Head of Strategy, Global
11:10 - 11:30
Panel themes for debate include:
- How much has planning in creative and media agencies changed in the last 2-3 years? Are you fighting over the same territory now? How will it change in the future?
- Some planners call themselves behavioural planners now. Is it all going to become about behavioural science?
- How has programmatic/automation changed the way creative planners think?
- Is there such a thing as over-targeting, does that impact creative planning, media or both?
- Can you justify the level of spend that is now going on digital?
- Could programmatic benefit from being more manual?
Chair: Dominic Mills, Mediatel Newsline columnist and former editor Campaign Craig Mawdsley, Head of Planning, AMV BBDO Simon Daglish, Group Commercial Director, ITV Bruno Soeiro, Technology, Data and Effectiveness Strategy, Infosys Europe Will Collin, Strategy Lead, Karmarama Greg Grimmer, COO, Fetch
12:45 - 13:30
Lunch and networking
Mediatel Newsline columnist and former editor Campaign
Chief Strategy Officer, Publicis London
Head of Innovation and Content, Vizeum Global
Founding Partner, 101
Head of Brand & Communications, Wickes
Head of Strategy, Global
Group Commercial Director, ITV
Head of Planning, AMV BBDO
Technology, Data and Effectiveness Strategy, Infosys Europe
Strategy Lead, Karmarama
No.11 Cavendish Square, Marylebone, London, W1G 0AN
Nearest stations: Oxford Circus (Bakerloo, Central and Victoria lines) Bond Street (Central and Jubilee lines)
A Mediatel Events season ticket guarantees you a place at seven of our core events including this one. As well as saving you over £500 you’ll also get free access to bonus events throughout the year.